Re: RFS: premake

In <AANLkTi=G97Z7x6OEWD88eQ9G7Mm05RDw_QoeCjEodHPb@mail.gmail.com>, James
Goppert wrote:
>Thanks. The package is just a build program, like make. I'm trying to build
>these packages on lenny. Guess that 's why my lintian didn't give those
>errors. I guess I'll have to run a sid virtual machine or something since
>taking my network to sid isn't an option.

First, make sure you are running lintian against the .changes file, not
against the .deb(s).  That way, it can issue warnings for the source packaging
and mismatches between the source packages and the binary packages.

Second, most packages submitted to Debian should be built on a clean Sid
(unstable) system, since they will be entering the archives there and because
it is policy.

Third, pbuilder (and variants like cowbuilder) make it very easy to build,
maintain, and use a chroot environment for building packages and there are
fairly well-documented ways of running your lintian test from within that
chroot as well.

Forth, the dependencies for the lintian package in sid can usually be
satisfied with packages from current stable.  When that's true you can use a
(dpkg -i) run or modify your sources.list (adding Sid) and preferences files
(pinning most of Sid to 99 or less, and lintian in Sid to 991 or more) to
install Sid's lintian on a stable system.

Fifth, thanks for the package, I hope you can clean it up and get it in
Debian.