Re: Default Configuration Issues

Hi, Paul.

On Aug 13 2010, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> I'm a co-maintainer on the "Fluxbox" package.

I happen to be a user of fluxbox.

Oh, just one stylistic note about the way that you write things both in
your text and in your changelogs:

> ( even though they have had regular development since then ).

You seem to put one space after a left parenthesis and one before the
right parenthesis. The usual rules for typesetting text dictates that
there should be no such spaces. Therefore, the text above should be
written as:

   (even though they have had regular development since then).

> The stock ( un-configured ) behavior of Fluxbox was to allow
> window-dragging with a left-click.

You probably meant window dragging with a left click on the title bar,
right?

> Since this was stock before, the old version of the debian keys file
> does not have the configuration directive ( OnTitlebar Mouse1
> :StartMoving ) to enable left-click window moving.

OK.

> I found this out early, and patched the global configuration file.

OK.

> Fluxbox, however, copies the file to the ~/.fluxbox folder,

"the file" means the global configuration file?

> and uses that without checking for additional directives in the global
> conf file. Whoops.

This is not clear: you say that "uses that" (the global config file?)
"without checking for additional directives in the global conf file".
If it is using the global configuration file, it is honoring the
settings there, isn't it?

Your description didn't sound precise here.

> This is causing breakage of old installs that are upgrading. What is
> the "right" way of fixing this?

In general, a change in behavior can be handled gracefully with some
time for "transitions", so that they users can adapt to that (before
that becomes the default) and with a conspicuous notice (say, in NEWS).

Regards,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de