Re: shlibs file

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 05:35:21PM +0300, Zvi Dubitzky wrote:
> HI
>
> I understand the role of the Depends: section in the control file
> information area of a .deb package - it specifies on what other
> libraries ( and their minimum version)  our current shared library (which
> is in the current .deb file data area)  depends
> in order to work correctly when it is linked to an executable. This will
> probably stop the current .deb from being installed until
> we first install all these dependencies packages .
>
> But what is the role of the shlibs file ? I am reading the Debian policy
> chapter 8.
> Each line of shlibs is of the type : libname   < major soname version >
> dependency
> This  states that our package library ( assume it contains 1) with given
> major version number  needs the package specified in the dependency field
> .
> But this is obvious because we deal /just produced the package that
> contains this library.
> Or maybe this information is used later  if the package was removed and
> the shlibs still exist in the system to say what we need reinstall  if a
> binary  calls an API of the library  and the library is missing ( was
> before )
> Can somebody clarify ?

From:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-sourcepkg.html#s-pkg-dpkg-shlibdeps

"... When a package is built which contains any shared libraries or
compiled binaries, it must run dpkg-shlibdeps on these to determine
the libraries used and hence the dependencies needed by this package."

Then, when you create a package, you can put in your debian/control file:

Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}

See:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-sourcepkg.html#s-pkg-dpkg-shlibdeps

See also:
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html
http://wiki.debian.org/UsingSymbolsFiles

> thanks
>
> Zvi Dubitzky
> Email:dubi@il.ibm.com
> IBM Haifa Research Laboratory    Phone: +972-4-8296182
> Haifa, 31905, ISRAEL

Cheers.

--
Josué M. Abarca S.