Re: RFS: service-wrapper-java

On 08/06/2010 07:58 AM, Rémi Debay wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "service-wrapper-java".
>
> * Package name : service-wrapper-java
> Version : 3.5.3-1
> Upstream Author : Tanuki Software Ltd
> * License : GPLv2
> Section : java
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> service-wrapper-java - Jar daemon wrapper

> The upload would fix these bugs: 591758

Hello Rémi,

I've taken a look at this package and have a few questions:

1)  The package isn't lintian clean from what I can see.  The
/usr/sbin/wrapper command doesn't include a manpage, which should be a
warning for any recent version of lintian.  There is also a warning
about the standards version; the current standards version is 3.9.1.
These are both minor and easily addressed.

2)  You are installing the JNI libraries in /usr/lib/service-wrapper/.
According to Java policy, you should be installing the C compiled bits
under /usr/lib/jni/.  Specifically see
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/c43.html.  I
think ideally your packaging would produce (2) binary packages, one
arch: all package that contains the wrapper script and the JAR, and then
another arch: any package that contains the JNI libraries per platform.

3)  I was curious about setting -Dbits=32 in Debian rules.  Will this
work on all architectures, or does it imply a 32-bit JVM?

4)  You may also want to review the information about javahelper here:
http://wiki.debian.org/Java/Packaging

Regards,
tony