Renaming installed files

(Upstream) newsstar ships with some sample config files which it
installs as /etc/newsstar/*.sample (assuming sysconfdir is /etc). The
user is supposed to remove the .sample suffixes and edit them to suit.

For a Debian package, thanks to Debian's conffiles management, it makes
more sense to install them into /etc without the suffix. What's the best
way to do this? In the debian/rules file I can't use dh_install because
it can't rename files, and if I just used cp or install I don't know how
to ensure it uses the correct absolute source and dest directories. So
I'm thinking the best way is to patch the upstream Makefile to install
the files with the .sample suffixes removed. Would more experienced
developers agree?

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk