Re: RFS: uwsgi

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:08:20 +0300, Leo Borisenko wrote:

> Hello David

Hello Leo,

>    I'll be looking for another sponsor; but if I'll not found any, may I
> (after getting rid of cdbs and reverting to plain debhelper) address my
> request personally to you once again?

Sure you can :)

> [..]
> > - you should remove debian/DEBIAN/ from the package
>
>    I use source package format '3.0 (quilt)'. As I read on Debian wiki
> [1] with this format debian directory from upstream tarball is
> automatically replaced by content of Maintainer debian directory at
> tarball unpack time. So manual removing of upstream debian directory is
> unnecessary.
>
>    But I'll send to upstream request to delete debian directory from
> official tarball in following releases.
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/DebSrc3.0

Ok, I've been hit by "unexpected behaviour" :)
You're right, source 3.0 replaces the debian/ directory if present in the
original tarball.
What I missed is: I imported your package under git, so I had a debian/DEBIAN/
left there (git cannot track empty directories) after the replacement process.

So, no real problem here, but good to read you contacted upstream.

> > - debian/control: libapache2-mod-uwsgi, does it work only with
> >    apache2-mpm-worker, apache2-mpm-prefork and apache2-mpm-itk? Doesn't it
> > work with other MPMs?
> >    You might want to give one default, and add an alternative to
> > apache2-mpm. Example:
> >
> >      apache2-mpm-worker | apache2-mpm
> >
> >    So you get all other MPMs for free, and you still get the default one you
> >    chose (if no other is installed) :)
>
>    I believe that mod_uwsgi works with any MPM. So I understand that
> it's a helpful advice, but when I took it, I've got problems.
>
>    MPM for Apache are mutually exclusive, so if I choose only one of
> them as dependency, I've take a decision, that may conflicts with user
> decision. Even dependency on apache2-mpm virtual package doesn't help.

The dependency on the virtual package is satisfied if the user already has any
package providing it. So, for instance, let's say you use "apache2-mpm-worker |
apache2-mpm", and you have apache2-mpm-prefork installed, that dependency is
fulfilled.

>    I don't know why, but on my system (Debian unstable), when I have
> apache2-mpm-prefork installed, then installing of libapache2-mod-uwsgi
> with dependency on (apache2-mpm-worker | apache2-mpm) or even just on
> virtual package (apache2-mpm) conflicts with apache2-mpm-prefork.

This is strange.

I just created a test-package with equivs, with a dependency on
"apache2-mpm-worker | apache2-mpm". I have -prefork installed. Look:

$ dpkg --info equivs-dummy_1.0_all.deb | grep Depends
 Depends: apache2-mpm-worker | apache2-mpm
$ LANG=C sudo dpkg -i equivs-dummy_1.0_all.deb
Selecting previously deselected package equivs-dummy.
(Reading database ... 330409 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking equivs-dummy (from equivs-dummy_1.0_all.deb) ...
Setting up equivs-dummy (1.0) ...
$

Seems to work fine to me :)

>    And apache2-mpm-prefork is popular as dependency of libpache2-mod-php5.
>
>    If I change (apache2-mpm-worker | apache2-mpm) to
> (apache2-mpm-prefork | apache2-mpm), then it will conflicts with
> apache2-mpm-worker etc.
>
>    So I decide to make libapache2-mod-uwsgi Depends on (apache2) instead
> of (apache2-mpm*).

While the situation you're describing is a bit strange, you probably found an
alternative solution -- congrats :)

David

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino