Re: A lot of pending packages

On Wednesday 09 June 2010 20:54:28 you wrote:
> I for one would like to become
> a DD. For a simple reason: it is my OS of choice since years ago, so I
> want it to be its best for everybody. But I suffer the problems I
> mentioned.

How many packages have you worked on for Debian?  Maybe it is time to apply
for DD privileges.  Worst case scenario, you don't measure up now and you can
apply again in 18 months.

> So my only visible activity on Debian is a few versions of
> a package. What is the way to go? Continue packaging and waiting for
> months (or even forever) to get it sponsored? Am I doing it wrong?!

After you've asked for sponsorship here, don't stop being visible.  Sure, give
sponsors a little time to look at the package, but if you haven't gotten any
response in a week or so, get more visible.

1. Reply to you original RFS with a new RFS.  You don't need any new content,
you just need to catch a sponsor that was unavailable last week and is
available this week.  If you've had (a) sponsor(s) before, make sure they get
a CC on both.

2. Does the upload fix bugs?  Are they recorded in bugs.d.o?  If they haven't
been reported, file one.  Once the bug exists, add a note to it that indicates
your new package fixes the bug and include the URL for your package.  Is there
a new upstream release and Debian isn't in a freeze?  After some amount of
time, that *itself* can become a (wishlist) bug.

3. Do you know any other users of your package?  Have them test it for you and
ask them to respond to your RFS with "I use this package, and this version is
better than the last."

4. Get on IRC.  I think there's a #mentors on the Debian network, and there
might be DDs on other channels that can provide extra quick turn-around or
even more suggestions for visibility.

5. Search for DDs that might take an interest in your package.  Usually this
isn't DDs that maintain similar packages, but rather teams centered around a
technology, role, or programming language.

It is incredibly frustrating to do work and then find it ignored.
Unfortunately, the Internet is a big place and the people that can give you
kudos (or intelligently critique your work) are not already watching you.  Be
proud of your work (until told otherwise), show it to as much of the Debian
community as you can.

Now, it would get truly annoying if every new Debian packager did all of this
every time they had anything to contribute, so give the original RFS at least
a week to be looked at, and stop promoting for at least a week whenever you
find a DD that will review (and possibly upload) your package.

If you aren't obnoxious with your self-promotion, you'll eventually find
someone to take enough time to look at your package and, most likely, reply
with a laundry list of things you need to fix.