Re: Preventing init script start during package install

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Marc Haber
<mh+debian-mentors@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 10:03:51PM +0300, Zaar Hai wrote:
>> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Marc Haber
>> <mh+debian-mentors@zugschlus.de> wrote:
>> >
>> > If you're the package maintainer, adapt your postinst not to start the
>> > service. If you're a user, you should have asked the question on
>> Yes, I'm the maintainer. The problem is that I do not do anything in
>> postinst script to start the service. It looks like dpkg just adds
>> this behaviour automagically. Can you provide any hint?
>
> If you have dh_installinit, use --noscripts and have a good reason
> for not starting the service automatically.
Thanks! I'll try that out (looks like I'll need to some CDBS diving :).

I do not want to start script, since I usually do upgrade right before
making disk 'ghost'. So I have to terminate the service immediately
right after dpkg starts it; but the service starts to process jobs,
which have to be aborted and recovered then. Does it sound like a good
reason?

Thanks again,
--
Zaar