Re: RFS: libharu

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Johan Van de Wauw
<johan.vandewauw@gmail.com> wrote:

> Makes sense. So is it ok to move the (updated) long description to the
> -dev package and use only a short description for libhpdf?

Probably yes. Obviously not everything will apply.

> I was randomly searching other libraries, and could not really find
> examples, if one jumps to your mind, let me know.

Most library packages exhibit the description problem I'm complaining
about. I don't know of any off-hand that fixed this.

> It is indeed pending (but has been for quite some time). Do you think
> it is better to concentrate on making a package (for
> mentors/experimental) from a git snapshot (eventually contributing
> some changes upstream) or to concentrate on a package of 2.1.0 (with
> backported patches) which might still be included in squeeze?

That depends on your priorities and upstream's (I'd suggest talking to
them). Keep in mind that squeeze will be supported for 2-3 years so if
a version makes it there, you should be willing to support it with
fixes for serious issues (security etc). I'd probably go with pushing
fixes upstream and working with them to get a release out, then try to
get that into Debian.

>> Much of the code is under a different license to the one quoted in
>> debian/copyright.
>>
> /me hits himself: ok, I thought I checked every dir, but it seems I
> forgot the 'demo' dir. It seems I will definitely have to remove some
> stuff there.

I should have written this more clearly. IIRC I couldn't find mention
of the zlib/png license anywhere in the upstream code, which seemed to
use a completely different license. AFAICT it was a DFSG-free license
though.

>> The upstream tarball contains .res files, which are compiled versions
>> of the .rc files. I'd suggest that they should only ship source code
>> in their source tarballs. Same comment applies to the prebuilt-PDFs
>> from the demos.
>
> In the mean time since I have to repack, I could also remove the *.rc
> files (actually the whole win32 directory), which are only used in the
> windows builds. Or is it better to leave them in there?

Since you are removing PngSuite may as well remove the .res files and
prebuilt PDFs too to save space. Please ask upstream to remove them
too.

--
bye,
pabs