Re: RFS: libharu

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Johan Van de Wauw
<johan.vandewauw@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "libharu".

Here is a review:

I assume you have read libpkg-guide and its bug reports?

The libhpdf-dev package description should have more detail than the
libhpdf-2.1.0 description since the latter will always be
automatically installed and libhpdf-dev will be installed from
build-depends and by people wanting to develop apps using the library.

I'd suggest getting your package descriptions reviewed by debian-l10n-english.

You can strip the boilerplate from debian/rules (lines 2-9).

You can strip the comments from debian/watch (lines 1-6, 8-9).

Your watch file does not work:

pabs@chianamo:~/tmp/libharu-2.1.0$ uscan
Use of uninitialized value $filepattern in pattern match (m//) at
/usr/bin/uscan line 793, <WATCH> line 10.
uscan warning: Filename pattern missing version delimiters ()
  in debian/watch, skipping:
  http://libharu.org/files/libharu-*.tar.gz

Looking at the upstream download directory, I'd strongly recommend
they switch to a consistent naming scheme.

The last release was a long time ago and the git repository has recent
commits, you might want to ask them when the next release will be.

The upstream CHANGES file looks like it should be renamed to NEWS:

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#NEWS-File
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Change-Logs

The upstream tarball contains .res files, which are compiled versions
of the .rc files. I'd suggest that they should only ship source code
in their source tarballs. Same comment applies to the prebuilt-PDFs
from the demos.

Much of the code is under a different license to the one quoted in
debian/copyright.

demo/type1 looks like it is GPL plus font exception, please document
that in debian/copyright.

demo/ttfont/PenguinAttack.ttf is GPLv2+, please document that in
debian/copyright. This font is also in Debian in ttf-dustin.

The copyright notice in hpdf_types.bas is missing a comma between
"use" and "copy", please tell upstream.

The source package includes a couple of copies (demo/pngsuite,
if/c#/demo/pngsuite) of some of the files from pngsuite, which looks
non-free (no modification permission according to
demo/pngsuite/README).

Some of the code references http://libharu.sourceforge.net/, which
redirects to libharu.org.

lintian complaints:

I: libharu source: binary-control-field-duplicates-source field
"section" in package libhpdf-2.1.0
I: libharu source: duplicate-short-description libhpdf-dev libhpdf-2.1.0
I: libhpdf-dev: extended-description-is-probably-too-short
I: libhpdf-2.1.0: no-symbols-control-file usr/lib/libhpdf-2.1.0.so

debhelper warning:

dh_auto_configure --enable-static=no
Unknown option: enable-static
dh_auto_configure: warning: unknown options will be a fatal error in a
future debhelper release

After modifying the packaging to add -Wall to CFLAGS, one gcc warning:

hpdf_u3d.c: In function 'HPDF_U3D_LoadU3D':
hpdf_u3d.c:136: warning: 'type' may be used uninitialized in this function

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise