Re: Request a Sponsor for Typus Pocus

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 6:02 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> I'd suggest joining the Debian Games Team, you will find sponsors and
> "testers" there. In exchange, we would hope you could help maintain
> other games in Debian.

Thanks! I'll do that.

> A normal tarball would contain a typuspocus-1.2.3 directory, but yours
> contains trunk. I'd suggest using the standard './setup.py sdist'
> command to create your tarballs in future.

OK!

> Most of trunk/typuspocus/music is under a non-free license. You need
> to remove every file that is licensed under the CC-BY-NC-ND license
> and replace them with DFSG-free music. Some resources to replace them:
>
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Games/Resources

I checked with who processed the music during that week, and resulted
that that note was misleading, we started using that resource, but
then we changed for other stuff.

Sorry for the misleading note, when you do a game in a week the
code tends to be full of dirt nobody had time to clean.

> Please ensure that trunk/typuspocus/sounds doesn't have the same issue
> as the music.

No problem with that, *I* was there when the sounds were created.  However,
I took the opportunity to review and clean a lot of sounds that were there
but not used, or duplicated wav/egg, etc.

> Generally one ships only the .po file in the tarball and the .mo is
> created at build/install time.

There is any automatic thingie for this that everybody uses?  Or should I
create one script for this?

> A number of images mention they were created with Adobe ImageReady or
> Photoshop, which are not free software. I'm wondering if
> GIMP/Inkscape/etc are not good enough for that?

It surely they are enough.  But these images were created by a graphic
designer that was faster working with that programs.  Should I clean that
metadata?

> The icons look like they were generated from an SVG or similar, but I
> don't see it in the tarball.

I really don't have it... it was generated during the contest, it's lost
now... is it mandatory, or we can go on without it?

> Some of the images look like they were taken from wikipedia, you'll
> need to clarify the origin, copyright and license for each image.
> Others look like they are rendered from SVG, Debian needs the source
> code for those.

I don't know if it will be possible to track the origin of each image.
What should I do in this case?

> Some of the images contain rendered text, this prevents the app from
> being internationalised and translated to other languages. I'm also
> wondering if the font used in them is DFSG-free.

Fixed.

> A bunch of files are actually duplicates (run fdupes -r trunk), you
> can save a lot of space by only shipping one copy of each or using
> symlinks if you require both filenames to be available.

Fixed.

> trunk/typuspocus/escenario/MagicSchoolOne.ttf is a non-free font "(c)
> 2004 Michael Hagemann www.FontMesa.com All Rights Reserved", please
> remove it from the tarball.

The MagicSchoolOne.ttf font in "typuspocus/escenario/" directory is
copyright from Michael Hagemann (www.FontMesa.com, 2004).  As it's
specified in their website, the font is free for Personal and Commercial
use.  I also asked by mail specifically for the right of distribution of
this font inside the game, it was granted.

I added this information in the copyright file.

> trunk/typuspocus/escenario/DejaVu*.ttf are duplicates of the DejaVu
> fonts. Please remove them from the source package, make the binary
> package depend on the appropriate ttf-dejavu-* package and use
> fontconfig or similar to find the right font at runtime.

These were included in the tarball, but for the .deb they were removed and
changed by symlinks, I was leaving them in the tarball because they're
needed for other platforms.

However, testing and testing the game for all these changes I made, I
noticed how out-of-place this simple font was compared with the other one
and game backgrounds, so finally I changed it to use a better looking one
(bah, not /better/, I love DejaVu, but /more harmonius/ with the game).

> trunk/typuspocus/audiencia/Copyright says the images are CC-licensed
> and from www.stortrooper.com, unfortunately that is now a spam site
> and the Internet Archive's Wayback machine for it is broken. You need
> to clarify the exact copyright and license information for these.
> Looking at the Internet Archive's Wayback machine for stor.co.uk, I
> find very restrictive licenses, therefore I very much doubt these
> images are under CC licenses:

I miscopied the URL to the copyright file: the correct one is
www.stortroopers.com (with an 's'), it's fixed now.

> trunk/typuspocus/countries.py could be replaced with loading the data
> from iso-codes.

This will complicate us the distribution in other platforms, and that
file is not *that* heavy.

> The manual page and desktop file should reside outside the debian/
> directory and be installed by setup.py since they are not specific to
> Debian.

Fixed.

> debian/changelog contains no ITP bug:
>
> http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#l1

Fixed.

> In any case you should definitely not hard-code python version
> information in debian/rules.

Fixed.

Thanks!

--