Re: RFS: morse (updated package)

[please cc me as I'm not on the list]

Hi Chris,

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 06:02:11PM +0300, Nanakos Chrysostomos wrote [edited]:
> P.S: I had already increased the version in Build-Depends for debhelper

Not in the version I reviewed :)

> ( debhelper >> 5.0.0)

``>>x'' means strictly higher than x, whereas you want ``>=x'' (at least x);
see policy 7.1

OK here's a few more remarks (some of which I should have mentioned in my
first email).

debian/changelog:
  * Added ${misc:Depends} to rules file. --> ``... to debian/control file''

  * Updated debian/compat to version 5.
  * Changed debhleper version to control file so to correspond
    the new changes.
    -->
    The latter is quite ambiguous. How about:
  * Bumped debhelper versioned Build-Depends to 5, and updated debian/compat

debian/copyright:
   ``it is currently maintained by Chris...'' should be part of the very first
   sentence that talks about the debianisation; where it's now gives the
   impression that you are the *upstream* maintainer!

   please revise the file to be more like the example given in the New
   Maintainer's Guide, section 4.2 (pay attention to headers, indentation and
   using © instead of (c))

debian/dirs:
    debian/dirs lists usr/sbin even though the package puts nothing under
    /usr/sbin. You could have found that out with lintian :)

Finally, please extract all changes to upstream files to patches (eg. with
quilt; see http://wiki.debian.org/UsingQuilt):

    $ lsdiff -z ../morse_2.1-4.diff.gz | grep -v '\/debian\/'
    morse-2.1/Makefile
    morse-2.1/morseX11.1
    morse-2.1/morse.d/Makefile
    morse-2.1/morse.d/morse.c
    morse-2.1/qso.d/QSO.c
    morse-2.1/qso.d/grammar.c

You'll know you've done all that's required once the above command's output is
empty. It is important that debian-originated changes are explicitly
identified (and can thus be more easily shared, eg. via patch-tracking.d.o)

Cheers,
Serafeim

--
debtags-organised WNPP bugs: http://members.hellug.gr/serzan/wnpp