Re: RFS: NMU goocanvas (updated package)

Le Sat, May 08, 2010 at 01:43:17PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :

> In general, I think that we are a bit too careful when dealing with
> non-responding maintainers. The maintainer of this package has ignored
> comments on that bug report for more than a year, despite making an
> upload on another package recently
> (http://packages.qa.debian.org/d/deja-dup/news/20100403T142238Z.html).
> It is quite clear that he lost interest, but forgot to orphan the
> package.

Hi Lucas,

I strongly agree with this, and I think that the package should be orphaned,
hijacked or removed instead of being NMUed. I have hijacked a couple of
packages in the past; it is as easy as announcing it on -devel, and
uploading a couple of weeks later.

If the package is only updated by NMU, the same story of requesting update,
being ignored, preparing a NMU, asking for a sponsor on debian-mentors and
triggering a meta-discussion may happen again and again. In my (minority?)
opinion, NMU is to help maintainers, not to deal with de facto abandonned
packages.

Bon week-end,

--
Charles