Re: The use of epoch in version

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> writes:

> If the upstream version is currently 1.2.3, and debian version is
> something like 1.2.3-4, how about releasing Debian version
> 1.2.4~repacked~1.2.3-1 with a new "upstream" tarball with version
> 1.2.4~repacked~1.2.3. You avoid using an epoch and can continue
> waiting on a real 1.2.4 from upstream.

That would give the impression that the source being packaged was
“really” version 1.2.4 in some sense. I don't get the impression that's
true here; the source is still version 1.2.3, just packaged in a
different way.

Assuming that's true, then I would append a conventional ‘.ds1’ or
‘.ds2’ etc. to the existing version, declaring the original source to be
version ‘1.2.3.ds1’, to show it has been repackaged *and* should be
considered later than ‘1.2.3’. Hence, the release would be version
‘1.2.3.ds1-1’.

--
 \         “True greatness is measured by how much freedom you give to |
  `\      others, not by how much you can coerce others to do what you |