Re: Reforming 'orig.tar.gz' with included tar-ball.

On Tuesday 26,January,2010 06:44 PM, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> Hello all mentors,
>
> I am in the process of fulfilling an ITA filed on an orphaned package.
> However, I now experience a desire to begin patching the upstream
> source for compiling errors and spelling errors in the manual page.
>
> To my dismay the previous maintainer chose to let the 'orig.tar.gz'-file
> contain the packaged and compressed upstream tar archive. My personal
> taste is to abondon this practice, if for no other reason to simplify
> the rules-file.
>
> Is there some reverence that should prevent me from taking the step
> of letting a new 'orig.tar.gz' be a byte-for-byte copy of the upstream
> source archive? I will make the new package conform to "3.0 (quilt)".

AFAIK the orig.tar.gz should be a byte-for-byte copy of the upstream source
archive wherever possible, and packaging the upstream source archive within a
separate, self-created orig.tar.gz is a practice to be avoided unless there is a
very strong reason for it. I believe this holds true for both the 1.0 and 3.0
source formats.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin