Re: RFS: Turtleart

Hi Paul

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Paul McEnery <pmcenery@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/1/22 Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero <rafael@sugarlabs.org>:
>> Dear mentors,
>>
>> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "turtleart".
>>
>> * Package name    : turtleart
>>  Version         : 0.0.1
>>  Upstream Author : Walter Bender walter@sugarlabs.org
>> * URL             : http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Turtle_Art
>> * License         : gplv2
>>  Section         : misc
>>
>> It builds these binary packages:
>> turtleart  - Graphic Programming interface, based on the logo Turtle
>>
>> My motivation for maintaining this package is: Maintaining programming
>> tools and becoming DM
>>
>> The package can be found on mentors.debian.net:
>> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable
>> main contrib non-free
>> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/turtleart/turtleart_0.0.1.dsc
>>
>> this closes bug  #565949 to ITP: turtleart -- Turtle graphic
>> programming environment
>>

>> I would be glad if someone uploaded this package for me.
>>

> Hi Rafael!
>
> I am not a mentor, but I have taken a quick look at your package and
> noticed a couple of odd things:

Thanks for taking a look at my package
> [...]
> extracts to a folder name which does not match the upstream name and
> version of the package.
>
> 2.
> The diff.gz appears to be creating the upstream source as well as the
> debian/ directory. The diff.gz should only contain the "debianisation"
> of the package.
>
> 3.
> I cant find where to actually download the upstream source.
>
> 4.
> Have you run lintian against it? See below:

> ----------
> $ lintian --pedantic *.changes
> E: turtleart_0.0.1_amd64.changes: changed-by-address-malformed rafael
> <rafael@rafael-desktop>
> E: turtleart: debian-changelog-file-contains-invalid-email-address
> rafael@rafael-desktop
> E: turtleart: copyright-contains-dh_make-todo-boilerplate
> E: turtleart: description-starts-with-package-name
> E: turtleart: description-is-dh_make-template
> W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/tagplay.py
> W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/tahoverhelp.py
> W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/tajail.py
> W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/talogo.py
> W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/taproject.py
> W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/tasetup.py
> W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/tasprites.py
> W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/taturtle.py
> W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/tawindow.py
> W: turtleart: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/turtleart.py
> E: turtleart: info-document-missing-dir-section usr/share/info/activity.info.gz
> E: turtleart: info-document-missing-dir-entry usr/share/info/activity.info.gz
> W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/tagplay.py
> W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/tahoverhelp.py
> W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/tajail.py
> W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/talogo.py
> W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/taproject.py
> W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/tasetup.py
> W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/tasprites.py
> W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/taturtle.py
> W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/tawindow.py
> W: turtleart: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/turtleart.py
> W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/taproject.py
> W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/tagplay.py
> W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/tasetup.py
> W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/tawindow.py
> W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/tajail.py
> W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/tahoverhelp.py
> W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/taturtle.py
> W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/talogo.py
> W: turtleart: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/bin/tasprites.py

Hmm i only trusted in mentors.debian.net lintian, wasn't aware of that warnings.

http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/sponsor-pkglist?action=details;package=turtleart

> I'm no python expert, but according to debian-policy, every executable
> should have a manpage. This unfortunately this we as packagers
> occasionally need to write them.

i followed http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPython/Policy?action=show&redirect=DebianPython%2FNewPolicy
but i maybe i overlooked something on,
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/

> 4.
> You may want to make the package source format (3.0)

> Hopefully a real mentor will also take a look at your package ;)
> Regards,

Thanks again, yep based on mentors.debian.net warnings i was hoping
that a mentor could fix the 2 warnings (not serious in my opinion) and
upload the package.
i didn't want to delay the process is someone more experimented in
procedures could help.

p.d this package is also in Ubuntu's REVU and i didn't got any serious
lintian warnings.