Re: On intermediary deb-releases, their archiving.

Mats Erik Andersson <mats.andersson@gisladisker.se> writes:

> in trying to disect an RC-bug I find myself wanting to compare, using
> debdiff, two immediate successor packages, like
>
>      this_1.20-15.dsc   and   this_1.20-16.dsc.
>
> However, for the particular package in question Lenny has 1.20-13.1
> and both testing and unstable share 1.20-16. These are available from
> the standard mirrors.

Right. The donated archive space is sufficient for the packages that are
currently part of a Debian suite.

To indefinitely retain every release ever made of a package would
require orders of magnitude more resources, for not much demonstrable
benefit. So, it's not too surprising that this isn't done.

I believe there was a “snapshot” service at some point, but I don't know
if it was capable of keeping up with the resources required.

> Is there some location where one could, with some luck, encounter also
> the intermediary packages that have been superseeded with time? Or are
> such packaged quickly pushed into oblivion?

Ideally, the Debian package is tracked in a VCS, and that VCS repository
is declared in the package's control fields. If not, you can encourage
the package maintainer to fix that :-)

--
 \       “It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do |
  `\       is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument |