Re: RFS: acetoneiso

Nick Andrik schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you very much for your review, here are my changes in the updated package
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> here is my review:
>>
>> * debian/control:
>> - - The package depends on ia32-libs [amd64], what the fuck? Why?
>
>>From the README of the program:
> - AcetoneISO uses poweriso binary file to convert and extract images.
>   It is not shipped with our software and will be downloaded when
> needed from www.poweriso.com .
>   Poweriso is a Freeware software so sources are not available.
>   Please note that it will only work on x86 32-bit Operating Systems.
>   It is however possible to make it run on x64 64-bit OS, for example you must
>   install at least "ia32-libs" package. Other packages may be required.
>
> I have moved ia32-libs to Suggests; do you think I should drop it altogether?

Normaly we do not need it at all - for free Debian packages - because
they compile native on every distribution.
So here is a new issue with this package:
acetoneiso depends on a not packaged piece of software in Debian, which
is also not free.

This means:
1) this reverse dependencie first have to be packaged (and from your
text it has to enter non-free)
2) acetoneiso depends on a piece of non-free software, but its
sourcecode is free, so acetoneiso has to be moved from main to contrib

>> - - libqt4-gui | libqtgui4 => the right dependency is added by
>> shlibs:Depends
>
> Fixed
>
>> * debian/copyright:
>> - - The downloaded from link is not valid.
>
> Fixed
>
>> * general:
>> There are many useless whitespaces at EOL:
>> m...@exez:~/build/acetoneiso/acetoneiso-2.2.1/debian$ grep -c \ $ *
>> changelog:7
>> control:4
>> copyright:4
>
> Fixed
>
>> lintian:
>> Those have to be fixed before I upload it:
>> I: acetoneiso: copyright-with-old-dh-make-debian-copyright
>> I: acetoneiso: description-synopsis-might-not-be-phrased-properly
>> W: acetoneiso: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/acetoneiso
>
> The upstream authors do not provide a manpage. Is this warning so
> serious so that I will have to write one myself or can it be ignored
> for now?

It is not serious as in "release critical", but it is a bug. If upstream
does not provide a manpage, please write it on your own and push
upstream to adopt it.

>> I: acetoneiso: desktop-entry-contains-encoding-key
>> /usr/share/applications/AcetoneISO.desktop:3 Encoding
>
> Fixed with a patch
>
>> Also there are many spelling errors in the upstream source, reported by
>> lintian. You may patch them and send it to upstream (if they are no
>> false positives):
>
> I added a patch  which corrects many of the spelling mistakes except
> for the .qm files which are translation files for QT programs and the
> final executable uses directly them. The problem is that they are in
> binary format and I cannot patch them. Do you have any suggestion on
> how to handle this? In any case I will contact the authors to ask them
> to update them upstream.

Send it to upstream.
I think you tried to edit the compiled ones?

> Thanks you very much for your review again.
> Could you please CC me in any replies since I am not subscribed in the
> mentors list?

Yes. But please do not CC me, I am subscribed ;)

- --
/*
Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards,
 Patrick Matthäi
 GNU/Linux Debian Developer

E-Mail: pmatthaei@debian.org
        patrick@linux-dev.org