Re: RFS: JavaMorph - IANADD

Claus Wimmer wrote:
> From: Claus Wimmer <claus.erhard.wimmer@googlemail.com>
> To: debian-mentors@lists.debian.org
> Subject: RFS: javamorph
>
> Dear mentors,

Hi

Thank you for your interest in packaging for Debian. I am not a Debian
Developer; nevertheless I had a look at your package and have a few
pieces of advices based on past experience.

First off, for java-related packages you can send your RFS to
debian-java@lists.debian.org; this will probably give you faster
responds time on your RFS. You are also more than welcome to ask
questions there related to java packaging and (if you use it) you can
also reach us via IRC in #debian-java on irc.debian.org.

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "javamorph".
>
> * Package name    : javamorph
>   Version         : 0.0.20090514-1
>   Upstream Author : Claus Wimmer <claus.erhard.wimmer@googlemail.com>
> * URL             : http://code.google.com/p/javamorph
> * License         : GPL-2
>   Section         : graphics
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> javamorph  - Java morphing film-make program for pixelpicture-input

The source package is lintian clean; however the bianry package gives
the following:

I: javamorph: desktop-entry-contains-encoding-key ...
E: javamorph: doc-base-invalid-document-field JavaMorph.pdf:1 ...
W: javamorph: doc-base-abstract-field-is-template JavaMorph.pdf:6
W: javamorph: doc-base-uses-applications-section ...
W: javamorph: doc-base-file-unknown-format JavaMorph.pdf:9 ...
E: javamorph: doc-base-file-references-missing-file ...

That you will probably need to fix (I shortened some of the lines). I
have not looked the "I" note (first line); it may or may not be important.

The orig.tar.gz contains the source-code; but the diff.gz also contains
a copy of it (in a different folder). I assume this was not
intentionally - there are also some other files in the diff.gz that I
personally feel belong in the orig.tar.gz. "lintian" catches this if you
have it report pedantic issues (--pedantic).

The resulting jar-file contained the "src/" dir with all the java files
(though this is probably due to the diff.gz issue above).

You should remove the ".bash" extension on the javamorph script
installed in /usr/bin to comply with the Debian Policy [10.4]. This will
also allow you to get rid of the duplicate manpage.
  On a related note, this script (as it is now) is also a valid sh
script (slightly faster loading time, etc) - though to my knowledge,
there is no problem with it being a bash script.

Both the description of the package and the manpage state that after the
program has been run it will install a pdf in:

  $HOME/JavaMorph/help/JavaMorph.pdf

You will probably be asked to disable this (at least for Debian); users
are expected to look in /usr/share/doc/$package/ for documentation. It
also allows us to correct the documentation in a later upload without
worrying about having outdated documentation flowing around.

When compiling java code, you should ensure that the correct compiler is
always used. In this case you depend on the Openjdk compiler, so you
should use (as I recall) /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/bin/javac and not
/usr/bin/javac.
   On two related notes, you have find the package "javahelper" helpful
for this (with jh_build you just have to set JAVA_HOME and it will find
the compiler for you).
    Secondly, you may want to use default-java instead of openjdk. On
all platforms that supports openjdk, it will be default-java and it will
be gcj on the rest. The packages you need for this are default-jdk and
default-jre.

You should also add alternatives to openjdk (or default-jre) in the
Depends (but not Build-Depends). The package java6-runtime (and also
java5-runtime if it can be run with java5 - you may have to pass -target
1.5 to javac for that) can be used.

> The upload would fix these bugs: 999999 -> I was not able to obtain an
> ITP, reportbug sent, but no email received.

I think your reportbug may not have been able to send the email. If you
cannot fix it, you can file the bug yourself by sending an email to
<submit@bugs.debian.org> (see [1] for more info).

> My motivation for maintaining this package is: I want to broadcast my
> own program. Additional MORPHING prog offer.

> main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/j/javamorph/javamorph_0.0.20090514-1.dsc

> Kind regards
>  Claus Wimmer
>
> + I'm not a member of this mailing list.
> + OpenJdk is slower then SUN when dragging points over the screen.
>
> --
> Claus Wimmer
> Steinern Straße 44
> 55246 Mainz Kostheim
> Handy: 01520 143 8758
> Inet-Tel.: 01801 555 777 1490
> http://www.glesir.de/~claus

Again, some of this is just my personal recommendation based on what I
have been asked to do with my packages. If you have any questions; do
ask (either here or/and on the java list)

~Niels

[1] http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

[10.4]
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s-scripts