Re: Man and UTF-8.

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez@gmail.com> writes:
>> What about double quotes?
>
>> quilt's manpage renders like this in the man viewer: ``pushed on the
>> stack''
>
>> I looked at the source and the .1 file has exactly those characters too.
>> So what should it have to get them converted into nice-looking Unicode
>> quotes?
>
> Use troff to render the man page into PostScript instead of using nroff to
> view it.  I don't believe nroff converts double quotes.

So much about it being a feature of the format, then. If ``'' means quotes
in the roff format and nroff can't output Unicode, it should be converting
them to something sane like "".

Regardless, I'm sure I have seen some manpages that do show Unicode quotes
in the man reader. Of course, I can't find any example now :(

--
Nicolas