Re: Man page, the way to avoid lintian error ??

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 14:04:03 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Laurent Guignard <lguignard.debian@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > When i run lintian on my package i have this :
>
> > W: dhcp-probe: manpage-has-errors-from-man
> > usr/share/man/cf/man5/dhcp_probe.5.gz  Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide
> > character
> > W: dhcp-probe: manpage-has-errors-from-man
> > usr/share/man/man5/dhcp_probe.cf.5.gz  Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide
> > character
> > W: dhcp-probe: manpage-has-errors-from-man usr/share/man/man8/dhcp_probe.8.gz
> > Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character
>
> > The problem is that there are more 80 characters on lines.
>
> Well, that may also be the case, but that's not actually what Lintian is
> warning about.  man --warnings thinks that you've got an invalid wide
> character in your man page.
>
> The first thing to double-check is whether you have a UTF-8 locale
> installed.  If you don't, that may be confusing man.  Lintian has to force
> man to use UTF-8 or we run into problems checking man pages in languages
> that have to use multibyte characters, such as Chinese.
>
> If that isn't the problem it may be that your man page is not encoded in
> the correct character set for where you're installing it.  You may be able
> to correct this by using iconv on the upstream man pages to convert the
> character set used upstream to what should be used on Debian (generally
> UTF-8).
>
> --
> Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Thanks Russ,

I install locales and set to fr_FR.UTF-8 and lintian doesn't warning me about
the man page. From several times i have problems with locales on several
GNU/Linux distributions (Debian comes with solutions has you gave me ;) ).

Thanks a lot, i will be able to upload my package on d.m.n to solve some bugs.

Best regards.
Laurent.

--
Laurent Guignard, Registered as user #301590 with the Linux Counter
Site : http://www.famille-guignard.org