Re: Uploading a newer version of a package that's frozen in testing

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Tony Houghton <h@realh.co.uk> wrote:
> I want to get roxterm 1.20.x into Debian but there's 1.18.5-3 in testing
> waiting for Squeeze's release. Should 1.20.x go into experimental
> instead of unstable? If so do I do this just by putting "experimental"
> instead of "unstable" in debian/changelog and requesting sponsorship in
> the usual way?

There was a recent discussion of this [1] on this list. Generally you
should only upload RC bug fixes, documentation fixes, or translation
updates to unstable during freeze [2]. All other updates can go into
experimental. The simplest way is as you described, setting
"experimental" as the distribution in debian/changelog and requesting
sponsorship.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2010/10/msg00185.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/11/msg00006.html