Re: RFS: failmalloc

Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 01:14:03AM -0600, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> Does failmalloc have a public API?  Is it meant to be linked into
>> programs without using the LD_PRELOAD mechanism?
>>
>> If not, what good is a development library for it?
>
> Quoting from the upstream site "This software generates a shared library
> which can be loaded by LD_PRELOAD or linked at compilation time", so yes, it
> is also meant to be linked without LD_PRELOAD.

Ah, ok.  In this case, I would suggest:

 - library in package named libfailmalloc0 and installed to
   /usr/lib/libfailmalloc.so.0.0.0

 - failmalloc program and bare /usr/lib/libfailmalloc.so symlink in a
   package named failmalloc.

>> Since you are selling it as a tool rather than a preload library
>> (reasonable enough), have you considered providing a
>>
>> 	/usr/bin/failmalloc
>>
>> script to do the LD_PRELOAD automatically?  See fakeroot for
>> inspiration.
>
> This is a great idea, I didn't thought about this. Should I rename the
> package, or just put that script in the libfailmalloc0?

Thanks, glad you like it. :)

That script cannot be included in the libfailmalloc0 package, since to
do so would prevent libfailmalloc0 and a future libfailmalloc1 from
being installed at the same time.  See [1] for more on this.

> Thank you very much for the review and the great idea.

No problem.  Thanks for packaging failmalloc --- it looks like a lot
of fun (and useful, of course) so I look forward to being able to
install it from the Debian archive.

Jonathan

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html#s-sharedlibs-support-files