Debexpo is online: testing period information

Hey all,

As promised ([0] and [1]), I put debexpo on the web by November 5. It's online at http://expo.debian.net/.

Here's what I'm thinking:

It looks nice, and some features work
-------------------------------------

Wow, http://expo.debian.net/ has some nice color, and a pretty cool logo. (-:

We're testing out the instance, finding bugs, and fixing them on the debexpo-devel list. Package uploading works! Other features might, too...

Public beta
-----------

It seems to work for me, so I declare it in "public beta". Try it.

It's hosted is a VM on a personal machine of mine. In the fullness of time, I imagine we'll move it to some Debian infrastructure. In this trial period, I want to empower anyone who wants shell access to the deployment. (That probably means you shouldn't use a password you care a whole lot about.)

Info on getting the source: http://debexpo.workaround.org/

If you find any issues, you can report them to that list. If you don't want to join a new list, you can also file a bug in the bug tracker (or email me personally).

Time-line and weekly meetings
-----------------------------

I want to have weekly chats on IRC, where we gather up the feedback so far, and work on the most important (or most visible) issues. Once a week, we can do that, and also help new contributors get started with running + modifying debexpo.

Here's what I'm thinking for time-line:

* Tue, Nov 9: This email announcing the public beta

* Sun, December 5: official unveiling of the service, suggesting people seriously use it.

* Wed, Jan 5: (Hopefully) retirement of current mentors.debian.net code.

I think we can actually replace mentors.debian.net even sooner than January 5. (-:

How to help

2. Get the source, and make patches, and submit them to the email list. (I can help with this.)

3. File bugs.

4. Come to the weekly meetings when we have them.

You can contact us by email (debexpo-devel), or on IRC (#debian-mentors on irc.debian.org, or #debexpo on irc.debian.org).

ta-ta for now

0. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/10/msg00087.html
1. http://workaround.org/pipermail/debexpo-devel/2010-November/000220.html

-- Asheesh.

P.S. #debexpo used to be on irc.freenode.net. Let's talk on OFTC now, AKA irc.debian.org, instead.

--
Repartee is something we think of twenty-four hours too late.
		-- Mark Twain