Re: package transition question

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 12:26:00PM +0000, The Fungi wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 11:59:27AM +0100, Harald Jenny wrote:
> [...]
> > Our current idea is to do the installation, run the program in
> > postinst to check for config errors and if we find some we issue a
> > warning message and cease to restart the daemon - or does anybody
> > have a better idea?
>
> Basically the same, just more reusable, would be to check the
> configuration as part of the start/restart/reload sections of the
> new version's initscript. I believe this is the same mechanism
> Apache has been using for years to help prevent killing httpd when
> you try to reload a broken configuration without validating its
> syntax (or when some of its dependent pieces may have gone missing).

Will talk with upstream maitainers about implementing this as it would make
sense not only for Debian...

> Obviously this still leaves the admin in the unfortunate position of
> having to solve his configuration problem on the spot or roll back
> to a previous package version.

Hmmm but when the init script refuses to stop correctly then chances will be
higher that the admin will solve this issue before a real problem arises (at
least I guess/hope so).

> Alternatives would be (more user friendly) come up with a
> configuration translator if all existing options can have a 1-to-1
> transform/mapping to new options or syntax,

Not really possible as some options were merged :-/.

> or (less user friendly)
> change package names with the new version and upload a final-ish
> package of the old version which displays loud messages about what
> the new package name is and how to manually transition to it.

Possible but I'm unsure wether this would make it into Squeeze at this point...

But thanks for your suggestions, you helped us very very much (sometimes when
looking at a problem the own view gets very very narrowed indeed...)!

Kind regards
Harald