Re: RFS: disco

On 2010-10-06 20:47, Janos Guljas wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "disco".
>
> * Package name    : disco
>   Version         : 0.3.1-1
>   Upstream Author : Ville Tuulos <tuulos@gmail.com>
> * URL             : http://github.com/tuulos/disco/downloads
> * License         : GPL-2+
>   Section         : admin
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> disco-doc  - A distributed computing framework - documentation
> disco-master - A distributed computing framework - master
> disco-node - A distributed computing framework - node
> python-disco - A distributed computing framework - client python module
> python-discodb - An efficient, immutable, persistent mapping object Disco
> python-discodex - Distributed indices for Disco
>
> [...]
>
> Kind regards
>  Janos Guljas

Hi

Thanks for considering to contribute to Debian, your help is much
appreciated. :)

While I am not a python/erlang/etc. packager, I did a small review of
your package. It is quite possible that I missed some issues that a
second reviewer will find (particularly if said review knows anything
about packaging python or erlang).

That aside, here is what I got:

You got two license files in
  contrib/discodex/lib/discodex/restapi/
  master/src/mochiweb/

which mentions a copyright holders and/or licenses not mentioned in
d/copyright. Their presence implies that the respective subdirectories
are copyrighted and licensed as described in those license files (unless
individual files in those directories state otherwise).

Why do disco-master Pre-Depends on python-disco? I see nothing in the
preinst script that suggests that python-disco must be present before
disco-master is unpacked.

There is a reference in preinst disco-master and disco-nodes to
  /etc/init.d/disco-node
but neither of them appears to install that script.

Is disco-master really an arch:any package? It appears to only contain
image files, javascript, python scripts and html files?

I am not much of a Python packager, but I suspect you should not be
getting this warning.
dpkg-deb: warning: 'debian/$pkg/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined
field 'Python-Version'

Probably you want X-Python-Version or XS-Python-Version (check the
Debian Python documentation or with the Python Team).

It fails to build from source if Build-Depends-Indep are not satisfied
when dpkg-buildpackage is invoked with -B:
[...]
sphinx-build -b html -d .build/doctrees   . .build/html
make[2]: sphinx-build: Command not found
[...]

This is how auto-builders will build your package. As I recall the
debian-policy is disagreeing with reality here. I believe there is an
attempt to make these two agree, but for now your package must be able
to build without Build-Depends-Indep when dpkg-buildpackage is passed -B.

Have you contacted (or considered to contact) the python application
team about team maintaining the package? (See [1] for more info).

If you have any questions or comments about the things I mentioned (or
anything else regarding your package) then feel free to write back.
~Niels

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/PythonAppsPackagingTeam