Re: RFS: packagekit (ping2)

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 22:38:59 +0200, Julien Viard de Galbert
<julien@vdg.blogsite.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 08:09:23PM +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>> Dear mentors,
>>
>> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "packagekit".
>> This package has been reviewed by Paul Wise and Asheesh Laroia already
>> and
>> should be completely free of any policy violations or other problems
>> regarding packaging.
> OK, I will save them to answer you within 4 days then ;)
> Don't take me wrong, I'm not DD so I wont upload, but even if I were, by
> reading your mail I just don't get what packagekit is, so I guess I'm
> not the only one ;)
Hmm, okay, if this is the problem I can solve it easily :P PackageKit is a
DBus abstraction layer and Freedesktop standard for accessing package
management. It allows you to implement access to package management into
your application in a cross-distro way, for example the Anjuta IDE searches
for required plugins using PackageKit and the Nautilus file manager can use
it to install apps for missing mime-types etc. All these apps just need to
know the PackageKit API, it does not matter if the distribution uses
APT/Yum/Zypper/Emerge/<your_packagemanager>.
Also, PackageKit organizes all package management tasks in transactions,
which allows you e.g to browse the package database while installing new
packages/updates. PackageKit is also the basis for tools like
GNOME-PackageKit, which provides an advanced, user-friendly PackageManager
and System-Update GUI, as well as KPackageKit (Apper) does for KDE. (KDE
can also use PackageKit to install missing Debug-Symbols automatically)
For more information about PK, please read
http://packagekit.org/pk-intro.html or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PackageKit

>> I work closely with upstream and hope to find someone interested in
>> sponsoring the package for Debian.
>>
>> Here you can find details about this package:
>>
>> * Package name    : packagekit
>>   Version         : 0.6.8-1
>>   Upstream Author : Richard Hughes <richard@hughsie.com>
>> * URL             : http://packagekit.org
>> * License         : GPLv2/LGPLv2
>>   Section         : admin
>>
>> It builds these binary packages:
>> [...]
>> The package appears to be lintian clean.
>>
>> The upload would fix these bugs: 468132
>>
>> My motivation for maintaining this package is: [fill in].
>
> And that should probably be filled too....
Oh, sorry, I forgot this... My motivation is that I work closely with
upstream on some PK related tasks, including this package. I develop an
extension for PackageKit, so I know the project's code well, also
PackageKit is the basis of some own projects I develop.
I also assist the Ubuntu packaging of PK sometimes (by providing patches
etc.) and I think having PK in Debian is great for PackageKit by itself (as
it tries to be a generic package management abstraction layer for all
distros) and for Debian, as it then can benefit from all PK features and
existing apps can depend on it, as well as Debian can have the (really
nice) PK-based update-manager or other PK-based tools too. It also can use
the global AppInstall data to create tools similar to Ubuntu's USC. (but
cross-distro)

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/packagekit/packagekit_0.6.8-1.dsc