Re: Bug in frozen package - aim at backports/volatile?

In <[🔎] AANLkTimUp8B_YNec1KUC9p_g2wKQ0RLtHFZ5UL9gCKw7@mail.gmail.com>, Stefan Ott
wrote:
>I have a small question: I'm aware that Debian is currently frozen,
>thus no new features can be added to squeeze. However, I maintain a
>package [1] (I'm also the upstream maintainer) which has an annoying
>but non-critical bug. The package is a parser for TV show episode
>information and one of the sources recently changed some minor detail
>in their data which messes up my tool's output.
>
>I just released a new upstream version [2] which fixes that bug (and
>that bug only) and don't really like the idea of shipping a buggy
>version of my package with squeeze, thus I'm wondering whether it's
>possible to have a fixed version included in squeeze (probably not) or
>if I should aim at squeeze-backports or volatile (since the package
>depends on volatile external data).

If the upstream diff is small, it only fixes bugs, and the package a
relatively few reverse-Depends, the chance the release team will allow the new
package to enter testing is large.  In any case, such a small, bugfix-only
diff would be appropriate for unstable, even if it isn't ultimately approved
for entering testing.

The "freeze" before release is more of a "slush" compared to what happens
after release.  Imagine the consternation of releasing git-core in 5.0.6 for
i386 with a grave bug that wasn't in 5.0.5 -- it can't be fixed in the core
stable repository until 5.0.7 is released.  (The fix is relegated to s-p-u,
security, volatile, etc.)  See bug 595728. :P