Re: Advice on an interesting package

Martin Owens <doctormo@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm trying to sort out the packaging of barry-0.17-git snapshots and
> it's got some undesirable features which is making packaging a pain and
> I don't really know what the best way to deal with them is.
>
> It's got multiple binary packages from the same source package which I
> get form git. One of the binary packages is opensync-plugin-barry which
> deps on libopensync0-dev (>= 0.22) to build.
>
> There is a new binary package called opensync-plugin-barry-4x which deps
> on libopensync1-dev (>= 0.39) to build.
>
> The problem is both of these can't be installed at the same time. So the
> build can never build both of them. There are flags to turn one of them
> off, but we need to build both.
>
> The temporary solution has been that since the directory containing both
> of these bits of code is fairly separated, I've made a new debian
> directory and built a new source package just for
> opensync-plugin-barry-4x. But this kind of gives a bad directory
> structure:
>
> barry/
> barry/debian/
> barry/opensync-plugin-barry
> barry/opensync-plugin-barry-4x
> barry/opensync-plugin-barry-4x/debian
>
> Add to that the upstream has a tendency to merge in the debian changes
> into the trunk and I think he would like to merge in this directory too.
> I understand that upstream should avoid adding debian to their main code
> repository, is that right?
>
> Thanks for reading, and I hope you can help me with my questions.
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens

Do we need both? We have neither in Debian (testing/sid) it seems
anyway.

Usualy an libopensync1-dev means the libopensync0-dev has become
obsolete and libopensync0 gets phased out as packages adapt to the new
one.

If both are needed then their packagin needs to change to allow both
-dev packages to be installed in parallel.

MfG
        Goswin