package maintainer question

Hello everbody,

I'm facing the problem that a package I maintain depends on a library whose
maintainer is either to busy or not interested providing a deb for the new
upstream version which would (hopefully) fix a serious bug in the library. The
package in question is sendmail, the debian maintainer is Richard A Nelson, who
seems to ignore both mails and bug reports concerning this issue (the bug also
bites other packages using this library). As we are currently in a freeze I'm
extremly worried that this behaviour might render a bunch of software in
squeeze unreliable. What (if any) options are there to get rid of this problem
(besides removing sendmail and with it some other software from squeeze)?

Thanks for your help
Harald Jenny