i18n issues, especially man pages

I've been sent a set of Spanish translations for roxterm, including the
Docbook XML sources for the man pages, but I can't work out how to
support internationalisation of these.

The first problem is that the translator tells me that the headings -
"NAME", "SYNOPSIS", "AUTHOR" etc - which are generated by
xmlto/xsltproc, didn't get translated. How can it be made to output
localised versions?

Then the man pages are installed by using automake's man_MANS target.
automake doesn't seem to have any documentation about how to handle
localised man pages though.

Are both these issues solvable without installing large localisation
packages for each target language? Ie will it be easy to build the
package, including all translations, on mine and any user's PC, or would
it be better to ask the translator(s) to provide all generated files as
well as sources and package them separately?

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk