Re: RFS: loopdub

On 2010-07-31 05:39, Stephen Sinclair wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "loopdub".

Hi

I am not a Debian Developer and cannot upload your package; nevertheless
I have had a look at it in the hope that it will speed up your the
progress for your package.

Secondly, thank you for your interest in maintaining your project in Debian

> * Package name    : loopdub
>   Version         : 0.4-1
>   Upstream Author : Stephen Sinclair <radarsat1@gmail.com>
> * URL             : http://loopdub.sf.net
> * License         : GPLv2
>   Section         : sound
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> loopdub    - Software for live audio loop manipulation.

> The upload would fix these bugs: 588054
>
> My motivation for maintaining this package is: It is my software that
> I use for live music performances.  After receiving several requests
> for help on how to build it, I decided to try to package it for Debian
> so that users would have an easier time finding and installing it.

> main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/loopdub/loopdub_0.4-1.dsc

> Thank you
>  Stephen Sinclair

I believe there are a few things that should be improved; do not worry
though, it takes a couple of uploads to get a package right in the first
attempt.

Starting with lintian; I suspect mentors.debian.net has/had an old
version of lintian, which is why it reported it as clean. However,
please note that mentors.d.n does not check binary packages, so you
should always check your package (both source and binaries) yourself and
not rely on mentors.d.n to check it.

If you build both the source and the binary packages (e.g. by not using
- -S, -b or -B with dpkg-buildpackage) then you can just pass the changes
file to lintian and it will check everything.

This is the output I got with lintian 2.4.3 when checking your source
and your binary packages. (Note I enable more checks than lintian
displays by default.)

$ lintian -EvI --pedantic ../loopdub_0.4-1_i386.changes
N: Setting up lab in /tmp/yiYjo20ggG ...
N: Processing 3 packages...
N: ----
N: Processing changes file loopdub_0.4-1_i386 (version 0.4-1) ...
N: ----
N: Processing source package loopdub (version 0.4-1) ...
I: loopdub source: debian-watch-file-is-missing
W: loopdub source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.8.4 (current is 3.9.1)
N: ----
N: Processing binary package loopdub (version 0.4-1) ...
I: loopdub: description-synopsis-might-not-be-phrased-properly
I: loopdub: extended-description-is-probably-too-short
W: loopdub: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/loopdub
I: loopdub: possible-documentation-but-no-doc-base-registration
I: loopdub: package-contains-empty-directory usr/share/man/man1/
N: Removing /tmp/yiYjo20ggG ...

You can use lintian-info -t to read what a tag means if you are in
doubt. e.g.

  $ lintian-info -t debian-watch-file-is-missing
  N: debian-watch-file-is-missing
  N:
  N:   This source package is not Debian-native but it does not have a
  [...]

About the synopsis and the description I can recommend reading [1] and [2].

I tested your package in a clean chroot and it builds; there were some
compiler warnings during the build you may want to fix (as an upstream)
and finally I noticed that loopdub is linked against libraries it does
not need:
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libdl.so.2 could be avoided if
"debian/loopdub/usr/bin/loopdub" were not uselessly linked against it
(they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on librt.so.1 could be avoided if
"debian/loopdub/usr/bin/loopdub" were not uselessly linked against it
(they use none of its symbols).

On a related note: the ${shlibs:Depends} more or less all your
dependencies - you can see this by running dpkg --info $loopdub.deb.
  If you believe that ${shlibs:Depends} fails to find the (exact)
dependencies loopdub needs (I suspect libsdl1.2debian vs
libsdl1.2debian-alsa could be a valid case - but I honestly do not
know), please speak up so we can figure it out.

The last thing I noticed was that are some files not owned by you and
licensed under other licenses than GPL in your tarball. You can use
licensecheck --copyright -r * (from the devscripts package) to find
them[3]. These files, their copyright holders and their licenses must be
listed in debian/copyright.

I will stop my review here because I am getting rather hungry. Feel free
to ask questions if you have any to my review. Also, if you have not
already done so, you may want to consider joining the Debian Multimedia
Team[4].

~Niels

[1]
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-pkg-synopsis

[2]
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-pkg-desc

[3]
$ licensecheck --copyright -r *
ltmain.sh: GPL (v2 or later)
  [Copyright: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005,
2006, 2007 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc]

[...]

rtaudio/RtAudio.h: MIT/X11 (BSD like)
  [Copyright: 2001-2010 Gary P. Scavone / HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR]

rtaudio/RtAudio.cpp: MIT/X11 (BSD like)
  [Copyright: 2001-2010 Gary P. Scavone / HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR]

[...]

rtmidi/RtMidi.h: MIT/X11 (BSD like)
  [Copyright: HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR / 2003-2010 Gary P. Scavone]

[...]

rtmidi/RtMidi.cpp: MIT/X11 (BSD like)
  [Copyright: HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR / 2003-2010 Gary P. Scavone]

[...]

[4] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia

It was the most related team I could think of.