Re: LeJOS NXJ Packaging

Hi Chris,

> I am trying to package the LeJOS NXJ project, its a java apt and
> replacement firmware for the Lego Mindstorms NXT. On the subject of
> packaging, the LeJOS NXJ project releases there project including all
> the 3rd party jars, pre-compiled jars and compiled firmware images and
> JNI files.
>
> I can remove the 3rd party jars and patch all the references to them and
> can recompile all of the JNI files. But the firmware image for the
> Mindstorms NXT is apparently hard to compile needing a custom setup of
> the arm-elf toolchain. Could I include in the package a precomiled
> firmware image? Also, do I just have to patch up the release so that it
> will compile correctly, this involves packaging most of the bash scripts
> and some of the ant makefiles or is there another option?

What exactly is so "custom" about the arm-elf toolchain? Clearly, it might
require cross compilation, but maybe Emdebian people can help out here. Properly
building firmware instead of shipping it pre-built also means proper
documentation of that custom build process, which sounds worthwhile anyway.

What exactly do you mean by "patch up the release"? Release of what?

Best,
Michael