dh_makeshlibs exits with error on buildds and with success at home: is DPKG_GENSYMBOLS_CHECK_LEVEL set on buildds ?

Dear all,

I uploaded a package that built fine in a chroot made by the helper tool
‘sbuild-createchroot’, but it failed on all buildds when running dh_makeshlibs.

dh_makeshlibs: dpkg-gensymbols -plibajax6 -Idebian/libajax6.symbols -Pdebian/libajax6 returned exit code 1

See for instance: https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=emboss;ver=6.3.1-1;arch=amd64;stamp=1279698597

I suspect that the check level of dpkg-gensymbol overriden on buildds, but the
content of DPKG_GENSYMBOLS_CHECK_LEVEL is not revealed on the build logs. Is
there a place where that kind of details is documented?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,