Re: [DebianGIS] RFS - mapcatcher

Johan wrote:
> I cannot sponsor your upload, but will still try to review
> it. Some comments already:
> * I'm no legal expert, but I guess that while using google
> maps you are breaking their license.

Google's terms of service do not allow that kind of usage.
I highly doubt Yahoo's do either. Cloudmade is based on OSM data,
they might, but as they are a .com I'm not sure, you'd have to
check.

gdal2tiles.py can make nice TMS sets from geotiffs for local
hosting, so sometimes it's nice if there's a custom setup for
http servers. e.g. see the devel version of OpenStreetMap's
Merkaartor editor. Note that the OSGeo TMS spec is slightly
different from what Google is using. (0,0 top-left vs. bottom-
left)

OSM's CycleMap is a nice tile server to add, but the coverage can
be limited sometimes.

see also the 'Viking' debian package which allows backdrop
tile servers from a number of (AFAIK) clean sources.

regards,
Hamish