New Package: Lejos NXJ

Hello,

My name is Chris and I have just started using Debian. I would like to
build a Debian package for the Lejos NXJ project
(http://lejos.sourceforge.net/). Its a replacement firmware and java api
for a commercially available robotics platform, the Lego NXT. While I
understand this is not the easiest program to package, I do want to
still try.

I have however run in to a couple of problems I was hoping you could
help me with. Firstly, to compile it requires the cpptasks java library
(http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/cpptasks/index.html) for ant and
currently as far as I can tell this is not included with Debian. It
looks to be separate, but part of the ant-contrib project that is
included with Debian. I don't want to really package this as well. How
should I move forward?

Secondly, I have little understanding of the usb permissions on Debian.
I have done some basic tests and the device can't be accessed without
root permissions on a standard installation of Debian. The project
readme says:
        To use udev rules, set up a file such
        as /etc/udev/rules.d/70-lego.rules and populate it with the
        following lines:
        # Lego NXT
        BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="03eb", GROUP="lego", MODE="0660"
        BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0694", GROUP="lego", MODE="0660"

        This relies on the username you are using being in the lego
        group. You can modify the file to your requirements. The two
        vendors are LEGO and Atmel (for the samba driver used in
        firmware update mode). You may need to reload the rules or
        restart udev. On some Linux systems, the command to reload the
        rules is udevadm control --reload-rules.

However I don't believe this is the best solution, the device just needs
to be accessible by the normal user, does a specific group need to be
added just for this purpose?

Thanks,

Chris