Re: will different compiler generate different symbols?

Liang Guo <bluestonechina@gmail.com> writes:
> 2010/7/16 Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>:

>>> If it does, which compiler should I use to compile my packages and to
>>> generate symbols?

>> Whatever the current Debian default compiler as installed by
>> build-essential is.

> Current build-essential depends on g++ (>= 4:4.4.3), so I should use g++
> 4.4.3.

> But If build-essential depends on g++ 4.5 in the future, is it mandatory
> to compile my package with new g++ and regenerate symbols ?

If so, you won't be alone, and I'm sure we'll end up with a transition
plan.

I've been holding off on adding symbols for C++ libraries until the
support for C++ symbol patterns is in stable for exactly that reason.  It
resolves the problem of different mangling between different C++ versions.