Re: Help for watch file

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:53:20 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> >> Please do not continue spreading the use of that redirector. Just because
> >> there's one for sourceforge it doesn't mean it is okay to have one for
> >> other  hosting services. We ideally want *none*.
> >
> > (...)

> >> 16 packages use it, there should be none.
> >
> > May I ask why ?
>
> It should be pretty obvious: less work for Debian and others:
>
> less work for Debian nameservers

Than explain me why we have wesnoth.*, tinc.*, meetbot.*, joy.* and others.
I don't care for them, but since you believe nameservers are having a hard time
keeping up...</ironic> ;)

> [..]
> It does mean more work for Google since they have to inform every
> engineer working on the download stuff of the need to keep URL schemes
> useful for autodownloaders.

Not true, a redirector is meant to change and adhere to the "upstream" website.
This is, if Google changes again, I'll change the redirector (instead of
maintainers changing debian/watch files).

> There 3 redirectors curently (sf, github, and google code) and all of
> them have been around for a while,

googlecode.debian.net has been around for a bit more than one month, I wouldn't
say that's anything comparable to the time sf and github ones have been up.

> I'm skeptical that any of these systems are going to change for us any time
> soon. Probably the best way to deal with that is to add code to uscan to do
> add the right opts rather than creating redirect sites. It looks like even
> sf.net could now be automatically scanned with the right downloadurlmangle and
> filenamemangle options.

Are you volunteering to make a patch for uscan? ;)

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino