Re: Fwd: failed hppa build of aqsis 1.6.0-1.2

Hi,

On Wednesday 30 June 2010 22:05:25 The Fungi wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 03:20:10PM +0200, Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo
wrote:
> > Can anybody tell me what I'm supposed to do with this?
> >
> > It builds fine in the rest of architectures:
> > https://buildd.debian.org/pkg.cgi?pkg=aqsis
> >
> > And the log doesn't say anything interesting about what the failure
> > is... it's like the process was in an infinite loop, or maybe killed
> > by some segfault or something...
>
> [...]
>
> You might also ask on debian-hppa@ldo in case someone there is
> willing to provide assistance debugging it on the platform. Since
> it's a graphical app, I'm guessing a build on my 712/60 is probably
> out of the question but there are others with more powerful systems
> or access to the porter boxes.

It's not a graphical app, it's an "offline" renderer, not a modeller like
Blender.  You send the scene to be rendered (output of Blender or similar)
and it produces an image, video, or something like that.  By default after
rendering, opens it in a window, but it's a very simple fltk one.

So maybe you want to give it a try.  It takes about ~10 minutes to compile
in my 2 year old, dual core not very powerful laptop.  I don't know how hppa
compares to these ones, but just in case, buildd official times are:

mipsel:	Build needed 00:52:51, 264392k disc space
armel: 	Build needed 06:53:56, 266224k disc space
i386: 	Build needed 00:07:44, 248728k disc space
ia64:	Build needed 00:39:33, 405948k disc space

The point is that upstream authors only care in principle about the main SOs
and popular hardware architectures (I don't see them putting resources to
solve this), and most hardware architectures are probably quite slow and
thus not suited to use such renderer anyway.  On the other hand, in general
it doesn't harm to have the package available in such architectures, and
it's one of the main points of Debian anyway.

So I think that the main possibilities are:

1) Do nothing.

2) Put an exception in control file so it doesn't build in that
architecture, or something like that.

3) Try to debug it, with no support from upstream and no easy access to such
machines.  Honestly I don't think that it pays to puch effort in this one,
given the target users (already a niche) and so on.

Cheers, and thanks for the reply.
--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo@gmail.com>