Re: Renaming installed files

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 05:44:38PM +0100, Tony Houghton wrote:
> (Upstream) newsstar ships with some sample config files which it
> installs as /etc/newsstar/*.sample (assuming sysconfdir is /etc). The
> user is supposed to remove the .sample suffixes and edit them to suit.
>
> For a Debian package, thanks to Debian's conffiles management, it makes
> more sense to install them into /etc without the suffix. What's the best
> way to do this? In the debian/rules file I can't use dh_install because
> it can't rename files, and if I just used cp or install I don't know how
> to ensure it uses the correct absolute source and dest directories. So
> I'm thinking the best way is to patch the upstream Makefile to install
> the files with the .sample suffixes removed. Would more experienced
> developers agree?

I use
debian/rules:
  # Do not use language-specific extension (policy).
  mv $(CURDIR)/debian/siege/usr/bin/siege2csv.pl $(CURDIR)/debian/siege/usr/bin/siege2csv

Josué M. Abarca S.
Vos mereces Software Libre.
PGP key 4096R/70D8FB2A 2009-06-17
fingerprint = B3ED 4984 F65A 9AE0 6511  DAF4 756B EB4B 70D8 FB2A