Re: RFS: libgnupdf (updated package)

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
Please do not use HTML email:

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Bhavani Shankar R <bhavi@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 0.1~20100604-1
> of my package "libgnupdf".

Some comments:

Please read libpkg-guide and its two bugs if you haven't already.

debian/rules upstream target should be named get-orig-source:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-debianrules

debian/watch should not mention lintian. In addition it isn't very
clear, I'd suggest this instead:

# Right now GNUpdf is under heavy development and they have not
released a version yet.

debian/changelog need not mention lintian either, except maybe in thanks.

Insert my standard comment about library package descriptions being
almost duplicates of each other. Think about the audience for each
one. -dev package will be manually installed by people developing apps
using liboauth and also as part of build-depends. The library should
only be installed automatically so it doesn't need a verbose
description. The debug symbols will be manually installed (at least
for now) but don't need the detail of the -dev package.

Similarly, the library package does not need AUTHORS installed.

Your orig.tar.gz contains two copies of the source code, one in trunk/
- I imagine your debian/rules upstream target is broken. Since it is
an autotools based project, I would suggest running upstream's 'make
distcheck' to create the tarball instead of doing manually. If any
files are missing from the result or if it fails to build you can send
upstream a patch.

There are some files upstream forgot to add a license grant to:

./src/base/pdf-stm-be.h: *No copyright* UNKNOWN
./src/base/pdf-stm-be.c: *No copyright* UNKNOWN
./torture/unit/runtests.c: UNKNOWN

The copyright years in debian/control should be 1987 to 2010.

The info documentation should not be in the library package, instead
put it in the -dev package or a separate documentation package.

It is a policy violation to put files whose names do not change into
the library package. Please either move the utils and info docs to the
-dev package or split them out into gnupdf-utils/libgnupdf-doc
packages (or similar).

The package FTBFS in pbuilder (missing build-depends on check). In
addition it requires a newer version of check than is in sid or
released upstream:

The following required libraries are too old:

  libcheck (svn required)

In addition, I wonder if the following need to be added to build-deps:

checking for libjpeg... no
checking for libjbig2dec... no
checking for libcurl... no
checking for libiconv... no
checking for texi2html... no

I stopped reviewing the package at this point due to the FTBFS.

Once you figure out how to work around the issues with 'check', please
run the following lintian command:

lintian --info --display-info --display-experimental --pedantic
--show-overrides --checksums --color auto foo.changes

Okay paul thanks for your real good review .. ll work on it

Regards

--
Bhavani Shankar.R
https://launchpad.net/~bhavi, a proud ubuntu community  member.