Re: RFS: gdisk (updated package)

Le lundi 03 mai 2010 à 10:17 +0800, Paul Wise a écrit :
> 2010/5/3 Guillaume Delacour <gui@iroqwa.org>:
>
> > I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 0.6.7-1
> > of my package "gdisk".
>
> I'm not sponsoring extra packages at the moment, nor do I have GPT
> hardware, but here is a review:
>
> You should never ever manually add dependencies on a library, always
> leave that up to the shlibs mechanism.
>
> You might want to consider adopting debhelper 7 and DEP-5:
>
> https://penta.debconf.org/dc9_schedule/events/418.en.html
> http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/

Absolutely true, i have removed the libpopt0 dependency in
debia/control.

> Having these options in the g++ flags is a bad idea: -L/opt/local/lib
> -L/usr/local/lib

I agree, i have reported this upstream.

> The upstream README includes installation instructions, please ask
> upstream to separate that out into README.install since it is useless
> to users of packages.

Suggested upstream.

> The upstream CHANGELOG file looks like it should be renamed to NEWS:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#NEWS-File
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Change-Logs

Suggested upstream too.

> The upstream manual page suggests that gdisk is beta and is fairly
> buggy. Should you mention this in the package description? Should such
> buggy software really be in Debian?

I have intention to modify the long description field in debian/control
to indicate that gdisk is still beta software. As there is only software
based on libparted (parted and gparted ?) that can handle GPT
partitions, it could be a good and actively maintained alternative.
Keeping it in the Debian archive is worth and could increase the
maturity by community testing and reporting.
I sometimes use gdisk on my desktop (i don't manipulate the GPT
partition table of my unique desktop) and never had problem for the
moment.

> dh_installman installs manual pages in a policy-compliant way, no need
> to do it manually.

I have modified debian/rules to use dh_installman only.

> crc32.* are GPLv2+ while the rest seems to be GPLv2, you should
> probably document that in debian/copyright.

debian/copyright updated.

> gdisk is available in several other distributions, you can use 'whohas
> gdisk' to find out where. There don't appear to be any bugs/patches,
> but you should check for them now and then.

I don't know the whohas, really interesting utility.
Thanks for all your advices and for reviewing the package.