Re: Specifying %{variable} in control file for use in postinst?

On Friday 30 April 2010 11:12:57 Ignacio Valdes wrote:
> So I am gathering that whereas it is repugnant to the dpkg design
> scheme to do it, but for the sake of rpm reconciliation the thread
> subject question: accessing control file values in postinst is not
> simple to do other than with major changes like sed pre-processing and
> such?

I wouldn't say it is "repugnant", but the postinst scripts should generally be
able to be run independently of even having the control fields available.

I also wouldn't say that sed pre-processing at .deb build time is a "major
change".

> Is that the situation?

Yes, dpkg does not (currently) expose the control fields in the environment
that the {pre,post}{inst,rm} scripts are run.