Re: Specifying %{variable} in control file for use in post inst?

Ignacio Valdes wrote:
Required to produce versions for both rpm and deb.  No introspection
means not easy to convert this from rpm to deb which is where this
started.  This would make it much easier to produce both deb and rpm
versions if it has the ability to introspect those variables.

If all you're looking to do is produce .rpm and .deb package files for distribution from your own site, you might want to see if a script I wrote will meet your needs:

http://deepnet.cx/debbuild/

It takes a .spec and creates a .deb package file.

Please note: it does **NOT** create a Debian package, it creates a .deb package that should install reasonably sanely on Debian and derivative systems.

Someday I'd like to expand it to write Debian packaging metadata that regular Debian packaging tools can use, but that's not happening any time soon.

-kgd