Re: [attn pabs] Callflow packages RFS

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 11:48 PM, Arnaud MORIN <arnaud.morin@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just uploaded Callflow package on mentors.debian.net
> I am now looking for a sponsor (Paul Wise?) to check the package.

A review:

mentors.d.n has a template that people usually use when sending RFS
mails. It includes extra details that are useful to sponsors, I'd
suggest using it in future. In addition, I'd suggest reading the
debian-mentors FAQ:

http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html

Why did you switch from batik to inkscape? The former might be
preferrable on servers. It would be good if the script could use both
and detect which to use at runtime.

If batik/inkscape are only for rendering SVG to PNG, I would suggest
making them optional and putting them in Recommends instead of
Depends, since some browsers now have SVG rendering support.

You haven't filed an ITP bug and added it to the Closes in debian/changelog:

http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#l1

The README says it needs awk or gawk, but you set the Depends to gawk,
is there any reason for that?

debian/rules contains a lot of commented out stuff, I'd suggest removing that.

debian/rules needs to set prefix properly so that the upstream
Makefile doesn't install everything to /usr/local.

conf/callflow.conf and /etc/callflow/callflow.conf point at
/usr/local, please ensure that when prefix is set, it uses that
instead of /usr/local.

You install the upstream README twice, once in /usr/share/doc/callflow
and once in /usr/local/callflow.

js/overlib.js is an embedded code copy. In Debian we prefer to package
separate works in separate packages so that bugs only need to be fixed
in one package instead of in lots of packages. Please remove it from
the upstream, create a package for it and depend on that instead. For
running callflow on non-Debian platforms, you can add an option to
check if it is installed and download it if it is not available.

In addition, overlib.js seems to be embedded in several packages in
the archive. Once overlib.js is packaged and available in Debian, you
could file a bug against lintian asking for it to add detection of
overlib.js and then file bugs against these packages:

$ apt-file search overlib.js
ebug-http: /usr/share/perl5/Devel/ebug/HTTP/root/overlib.js
moodle: /usr/share/moodle/lib/overlib.js
nagvis: /usr/share/nagvis/htdocs/nagvis/includes/js/overlib.js
texlive-latex-extra-doc:
/usr/share/doc/texlive-doc/latex/fancytooltips/examples/tex4ht/overlib.js.gz
texlive-latex-extra-doc:
/usr/share/doc/texlive-latex-extra-doc/latex/fancytooltips/examples/tex4ht/overlib.js.gz
torrentflux: /usr/share/torrentflux/www/overlib.js

One dpkg-gencontrol complaint:

dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package callflow: unknown
substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}

Some lintian complaints:

$ lintian --info --display-info --display-experimental --pedantic
--show-overrides --checksums --color auto *.changes
I: callflow source: missing-debian-source-format
I: callflow source: debian-watch-file-is-missing
W: callflow source: dh-clean-k-is-deprecated
W: callflow source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.8.0 (current is 3.8.4)
E: callflow: description-starts-with-package-name
W: callflow: extended-description-line-too-long
I: callflow: extended-description-is-probably-too-short
E: callflow: helper-templates-in-copyright
I: callflow: copyright-with-old-dh-make-debian-copyright
P: callflow: no-upstream-changelog
W: callflow: new-package-should-close-itp-bug
W: callflow: wrong-bug-number-in-closes l3:#nnnn
W: callflow: executable-not-elf-or-script ./etc/callflow/colors
W: callflow: executable-not-elf-or-script
./usr/local/callflow/scripts/long2html.awk
W: callflow: executable-not-elf-or-script ./etc/callflow/title
W: callflow: executable-not-elf-or-script
./usr/local/callflow/scripts/marksession.awk
W: callflow: executable-not-elf-or-script ./etc/callflow/callflow.conf
W: callflow: executable-not-elf-or-script ./etc/callflow/session
W: callflow: executable-not-elf-or-script
./usr/local/callflow/scripts/callflow.awk
W: callflow: executable-not-elf-or-script
./usr/local/callflow/scripts/prunenodes.awk
W: callflow: executable-not-elf-or-script ./etc/callflow/filter
W: callflow: executable-not-elf-or-script
./usr/local/callflow/scripts/makevars.awk
E: callflow: dir-in-usr-local usr/local/bin/
E: callflow: file-in-usr-local usr/local/bin/callflow
W: callflow: file-in-unusual-dir usr/local/bin/callflow
E: callflow: dir-in-usr-local usr/local/callflow/
E: callflow: file-in-usr-local usr/local/callflow/AUTHORS
W: callflow: file-in-unusual-dir usr/local/callflow/AUTHORS
E: callflow: file-in-usr-local usr/local/callflow/LICENSE
W: callflow: file-in-unusual-dir usr/local/callflow/LICENSE
W: callflow: extra-license-file usr/local/callflow/LICENSE
E: callflow: file-in-usr-local usr/local/callflow/README
W: callflow: file-in-unusual-dir usr/local/callflow/README
E: callflow: dir-in-usr-local usr/local/callflow/js/
E: callflow: file-in-usr-local usr/local/callflow/js/callflow.js
W: callflow: file-in-unusual-dir usr/local/callflow/js/callflow.js
E: callflow: file-in-usr-local usr/local/callflow/js/overlib.js
W: callflow: file-in-unusual-dir usr/local/callflow/js/overlib.js
E: callflow: dir-in-usr-local usr/local/callflow/scripts/
E: callflow: file-in-usr-local usr/local/callflow/scripts/callflow.awk
W: callflow: file-in-unusual-dir usr/local/callflow/scripts/callflow.awk
E: callflow: file-in-usr-local usr/local/callflow/scripts/long2html.awk
W: callflow: file-in-unusual-dir usr/local/callflow/scripts/long2html.awk
E: callflow: file-in-usr-local usr/local/callflow/scripts/makevars.awk
W: callflow: file-in-unusual-dir usr/local/callflow/scripts/makevars.awk
E: callflow: file-in-usr-local usr/local/callflow/scripts/marksession.awk
W: callflow: file-in-unusual-dir usr/local/callflow/scripts/marksession.awk
E: callflow: file-in-usr-local usr/local/callflow/scripts/prunenodes.awk
W: callflow: file-in-unusual-dir usr/local/callflow/scripts/prunenodes.awk
E: callflow: file-in-usr-local usr/local/callflow/scripts/removedups.sh
W: callflow: file-in-unusual-dir usr/local/callflow/scripts/removedups.sh
E: callflow: dir-in-usr-local usr/local/share/
E: callflow: dir-in-usr-local usr/local/share/man/
E: callflow: dir-in-usr-local usr/local/share/man/man1/
E: callflow: file-in-usr-local usr/local/share/man/man1/callflow.1
W: callflow: file-in-unusual-dir usr/local/share/man/man1/callflow.1

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise