Re: [Fwd: Re: Varkon CAD software]

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:54 PM, jon <jon@foretruss.com> wrote:

> As noted in the previous email, I would like to become a maintainer for this package, but am painfully unaware of the steps/protocols to do so.
>
> Can I please have some help?

Check out these links:

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#adopting
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

In short(ish):

Retitle the wnpp bug to ITA (intent to adopt) and set yourself as the owner.

Download the source for the existing package.

Hack on it to resolve bugs, update to new upstream and so on. The
packages.qa.debian.org page for the package lists some of the things
to do.

Upload it to mentors.debian.net and request a sponsor, usually by
sending an RFS mail to this list. More tips in the debian-mentors FAQ
for finding sponsors and so on.

Rinse and repeat the previous two steps a bunch of times.

Apply for DM so you can upload without a sponsor.

Do the same for other packages you use that are orphaned (see wnpp-alert).

Apply for NM so you can upload any package without a sponsor, vote,
login to Debian machines, join core teams and so on. Some core teams
have ways to help out before being a Debian Developer (DD) though.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise