Re: RFS: commit-patch

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> David Caldwell <david@porkrind.org> writes:
>
> > Interesting. 'bzr patch' doesn't seem to be documented in my bzr,
> > but it appears to apply the patch to the working directory instead of
> > committing it. This is not what commit-patch does--it commits the
> > patch to the repository and leaves your working directory as it was.
>
> Why does 'commit-patch' not affect the working tree? How is the revision
> related to others, then?

The revision is potentially not related to the state of your working tree at
all. Most likely, though, the patch is a minor tweak on your working
directory changes.

> What is the use case where one wants the patch stored as a revision,
> pretending that the working tree once had that state, but leaving the
> working tree without that state?

Here's a blog post about a possible use case, written a few years ago:

<http://porkrind.org/missives/commit-patch-managing-your-mess>

I think it's worth trying (especially if you are an Emacs user) because it's
a tool that, once you know it exists, you'll start reaching for more and
more often.

-David