Re: RFS: totem-plugin-arte

> > > AFAIK they use very strict Geo-Localisation to block users from outside
> > > of some selected European Countries.
> > >
> > > Is this siutable for main then? Isn't it a usage restriction which
> > > make it better fitting into contrib, is it?
> >
> > I see your point.
> >
> > But as far as I know main require only free *software* and so free
> > licences whereas contrib packages depend on other *software* that is not
> > free.
> > http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages.html
> >

> We had the same discussion on programs which were only be useful with
> non-free data (Sorry, I don't remember the name) and the conclusion was
> that the maintainer should aquire some free data so the package could be
> used freely from anyone to place it into main.
>
> > I mean that there is no restriction to use this plugin from anywhere. It
> > will work, but the arte.tv feed may be unavailable.
>
> For what is the plugin useful, if it can not get its data? Is there any
> free usecase, from anywhere?
> If no, main should not be the right place.

It's quite understandable and there is no problem for me to target
contrib instead of main, I just interpreted the "main" definition word
for word, and AFAIK it only talk about software ;)

> > Arte policy is not
> > written in stone, and we can hope that they will extend availability if
> > there is enough demand.
>
> So it could be moved from contrib to main then.
It's ok for me.

> > For the time being, it's also possible to use a
> > proxy or a vpn (well, "auto-proxy if needed" may be a good TODO, I will
> > propose it upstream).
> >
> Is this legal?

After some investigations, it looks like it may be illegal.

But this is not clear, I was unable to find any "terms of use" page,
terms are spread on the plus7.arte.tv website.

> > I'm not aware of a past similar case so it's interesting ;)
> >

> There were some, but I didn't find it quickly.
> Perhaps any of the other readers will remember?

One last thing:
I saw that totem-plugins (which featured the youtube plugin) is in main.
But videos on youtube are not free, are they? So, what about this?

Kind regards,

Nicolas

ps: I updated the source package. The section is now set to "video" so
it's now consistent with other totem packages