Re: RFS: ceph

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Sage Weil wrote:

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Sage Weil wrote:
Ok, the build is fixed (man_MANS vs dist_man_MANS in the man/Makefile.am),
and pbuilder is behaving fine on my other box.  The updated .dsc is at

http://ceph.newdream.net/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/ceph_0.18git20100209082702-1.dsc

eek, have no spare time while prepping for a PyCon talk and
conference.freeculture.org this weekend. Ping me in 10 days?

Hi Asheesh,

I've rebuilt packages for the latest release (0.19.1).  The .dsc is at

http://ceph.newdream.net/debian/pool/ceph-stable/c/ceph/ceph_0.19.1-1.dsc

I've also futzed around with my scripts for building .debs for the
ceph.newdream.net repository (now using pbuilder, reprepro).  I suspect
I'm not quite doing the right thing wrt package versions for the different
distributions (I'm appending something like ~bpo50+1 for lenny .deb,
etc.), but for now at least it works well enough for the separate
repository.  And I'm not sure it's that important from the perspective of
getting the packages in sid anyway.

There is also a ceph-kclient package with the source code for the kernel
module:

http://ceph.newdream.net/debian/pool/ceph-stable/c/ceph-kclient/ceph-kclient_0.19.1-1.dsc

As I understand it there is some make-kpkg magic that is supposed to build
it automagically (if it's properly packaged) but I haven't found any good
documentation on how that should be done for standalone modules.

I'm behind on this, but I hope to look again deeper by Monday evening.

Reviewing now. Initial thoughts:

* Your diff.gz is empty. I guess that's better than making this a native package, but other maintainers will prefer that the debian directory be added during in the diff.gz. I think the ftpmasters might find your way a little shocking.

* You should remove the commented-out dh_* lines in debian/rules.

Your move_dbg_files script -- could be replaced by more careful use of dh_strip? Check out the --dbg-packages=package option described in "man dh_strip". (Also, if you feel like it, you could try debhelper 7, but that's no big deal.)

I'm still waiting for my build to finish. I hope that when it does and I have it installed, it will be clear how to use it so that I can easily test if it works as advertised. (-:

There are a lot of shared libraries here -- I hope you'll maintain their ABI stably and not cause too much churn.

Sorry to take so long on this. Let me know regarding the above comments!

-- Asheesh.

--
Politicians are the same all over.  They promise to build a bridge even
where there is no river.