Re: CHowning files - or not?

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 03:01:24PM +0100, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> tisdag den  2 mars 2010 klockan 14:22 skrev Dominik George detta:
> >
> > I know what local changes are. And I *want* any of these changes to be
> > lost when a package is updated.
> >
> > As I mentioned in my very first mail, this is a repository of packages for
> > *local* deployment, to systems *I* maintain, that are supposed to be
> > *stock* installations with *no* modifications watsoever, and that are
> > *never* touched by anyone except me.
> >
> > -nik
>
> Then the package hardly merits to be present in a public Debian repository!
> It should be kept in a local or in a business internal repository.

From Dominik's original mail, the package is not really meant to be
present in a public Debian repository :)

Dominik, well, in that case you may use chown.  Personally, I would
still go with the dpkg-statoverride thing, something like:

find ... -type f | while read f; do
	# only do something when no setting exists
	# NN # if ! dpkg-statoverride --list $i >/dev/null 2>&1
	# NN # then
		#include: debconf processing, question about foo and bar
		# NN #if [ "$RET" = "true" ] ; then
			dpkg-statoverride --update --add sysuser userA 4755 $i
		# NN # fi
	# NN # fi
done

That is, pretty much the loop from Policy 10.9.1, with most of the lines
commented out with a NN (not needed) or something, and maybe a brief
explanation why this is so.  My reasons would be 1. maybe something will
change in the future and dpkg-statoverride may be needed, and 2. forming
good habits for future Debian packages :)

But if you don't feel like it, just use chown - but make a point to
remember that this is a special case and for other packages you might
want to use dpkg-statoverride :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@space.bg    roam@FreeBSD.org
Key fingerprint	2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13